Our Party Structure
Thursday, 19 November 2009 19:02
The MDC has the following organs:
a) The Congress
The Congress is the supreme organ of the Party and is composed of all members of the National Council, National Executive of Women, National Executive of Youth, Provincial Executive Committees, the Chairperson, Secretary, Organising Secretary and Treasurer from each District Executive Committee and Provincial and District levels of the National Assemblies of Women and Youth and external assemblies, the Chairperson of each Ward Executive Committee and all the party’s elected members of the house of Assembly, Mayors and chairpersons of local Authorities.
The congress meets once every five years, provided that an Extra-Ordinary Congress can be convened, at any time, in accordance with the provisions of the Party’s Constitution.
The functions and Powers of Congress are:
- Formulation and supervising the implementation of policies, principles and programmes of the Party;
- Approving audited financial statements of the Party and appointing or reappointing auditors;
- Repealing or amend the Constitution;
- The Congress can dissolve the party in terms of the Constitution.
- Reviewing, ratifying, modifying, altering or rescinding any decision taken by any organ or official of the party
- Condoning any reasonable non-compliance with the time limits provided for in this Constitution in accordance with the constitution.
The National Council is the Party's main policy implementing organ and shall have the authority to lead the organization and execute the aims and objectives of the Party.
The Powers of the National Council include:
- Issuing and sending directives and instructions to and receive reports from the National Executive.
- Supervising and directing the work of the party and all its organs and overseeing the work of the National Assemblies of Women and Youth.
- Is the custodian of all national and international property and assets of the party and receive reports,
- Issues policy directives and produce any Party documents and may confer such honors, as it may deem appropriate.
- Where necessary can suspend or dissolve any organ and conduct elections and may rectify or reverse any decisions of the National Executive.
- Elect, reappoint and reassign Party Secretaries in accordance with the party’s constitution and monitors and evaluates the performances and execution of duties of all members of the National Executive
Members of the standing committee
|Morgan Tsvangirai : President ||Thokozani Khupe: Vice President||Lovemore Moyo: National Chairman|
|Tendai Biti: Secretary General ||Tapiwa Mashakada: Deputy Secretary General||Roy Bennet: Treasurer General|
|Deputy National Chairperson - Morgan Komichi||Nelson Chamisa: Organizing Secretary||Abedinico Bhebhe: Deputy Organizing Secretary|
|Elton S.Mangoma: Deputy Treasurer General||Douglas Mwonzora: Secretary for Information & Publicity||Theresa Makone: National Women Chairperson|
|Solomon Madzore: National Youth Chairperson|
The National Standing Committee of the National Executive is chaired by the Party President, and is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Party and reports to the National Executive
The National Standing Committee and consists of the President and the Deputy President, the National Chairperson and the National Vice Chairperson, the Secretary General, the Treasurer General, Deputy Treasurer, the National Organizing Secretary, the Secretary for Information and Publicity, the Deputy National Organizing Secretary the Deputy Secretary General and the Chairpersons of the Women and Youth Assembly.
THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
The National Executive Committee of the National Council exercises all the functions of the National Council in between meetings.
|Morgan Tsvangirai ||Thokozani Khupe ||Lovemore Moyo ||Morgen Komichi |
|Tendai Biti||Tapiwa Mashakada||Nelson Chamisa||Abednico Bhebhe|
|Roy Bennett||Elton Mangoma||Douglas Mwonzora||Theresa Makone|
|Solomon Madzore||Emma Muzondiwa||Last Maengahama||Evelyn Masaiti|
|Jessie Majome||Editor Matamisa||Agnes Mloyi||Sitembile Mlotshwa|
|Settlement Chikwinya||Seiso Moyo||Giles Mutsekwa||Jameson Timba |
|Gubbuza Joel Gabuza|| Lucia Matibenga ||Thabita Khumalo||Kerry Kay|
|Paurina Mpariwa||Concilia Chinanzvavana||Luta Shaba||Spiwe Ncube|
|Henry Madzorera||Eddie Cross||Sesel Zvidzai ||Thamsanqa Mahlangu|
|Eliphas Mukonoweshuro||Elias Mudzuri||Amos Chibaya||Shepherd Mushonga|
POWERS OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
The National Executive powers includes
- Administrating and implementing authority of the party and
- Implementing the decisions, recommend party policies and programmes and resolutions of the National Council.
- Formulating and implementing the current programmes of the party and ensure that provinces, districts, wards and branches and all other party structures such as parliamentary and local government caucuses carry out the decisions of the party.
- Ensuring that the democratic and effective functioning of provincial, district, ward and branch structures.
- Receive reports, supervise the work of, and delegate such functions to the Provincial Committees, as it considers necessary and engage and dismiss Secretariat staff where necessary
The Provincial Executive Committee and Provincial Assembly composition:
The Provincial Executive Committee is elected at a Provincial Assembly meeting held once every fiveyears at least two months prior to each Congress where At least a third of the Provincial Executive Committee shall be Women.
The main functions of the Provincial Executive Committee are:
- Building the party in the Province and to organize elections of District Executive Committees and where necessary to organize Ward and Branch Meetings.
- The PEC supervise the work of Districts in the Province concerned and to ensure that Districts are functioning democratically effectively and complying with this Constitution.
- The PEC implements policies and principles of the Party in the Province and carry out all functions and duties as accepted by the National Council.
- Maintaining a Registrar of Party Members in the Province and to select, choose or nominate candidates for National Elections for acceptance or rejection by the National Council.
- Maintaining bank accounts and books of accounts and keep an asset register of all party assets in the Province
The District Executive Committee (DEC)
District Executive Committee and District Assembly’s composition: see constitution clause 5.6-
The District Executive Committee is elected at a District Assembly meeting held once every fiveyears least two months prior to each Provincial Assembly meeting.
Ward Executive Committee’s andWard Assemblycomposition: See constitution clause 5.8.2
The Ward Executive Committee is elected at a Ward Assembly Meeting held once every five years that takes place at least two months prior to each District Assembly Meeting.
The Ward Executive Committee establishes branches in each ward.
The minimum number of members for the establishment of a Branch shall be fifty.
No member shall be a member of more than one Branch and there is a Branch Executive Committee for each Branch.
The Branch Executive Committee and Branch Assembly’s composition: See constitution clause 5.6